My first assignment when I was hired to the UF/IFAS Extension Service in Hilsborough County was to produce promotional materials for the 100 year celebration of United States Cooperative Extension. I was provided 10 boxes of unorganized historic photos and documents from over 80 years of history within the county. I organized, digitized, and digitally modified them to create collage posted for several decades in extensions history. I then printed these posters on a large-format printer and displayed them during department events and presentations.
The Smith-Lever Act formalized extension in 1914, but its roots go back to agricultural clubs and societies of the early 1800s. The act expanded USDA’s partnership with land-grant universities to apply research and provide education in agriculture. Over the last century, extension has adapted to changing times and landscapes, and it continues to address a wide range of human, plant, and animal needs in both urban and rural areas. Today, extension works to:
- Translate science for practical application
- Identify emerging research questions, find answers and encourage application of science and technology to improve agricultural, economic, and social conditions
- Prepare people to break the cycle of poverty, encourage healthful lifestyles, and prepare youth for responsible adulthood
- Provide rapid response regarding disasters and emergencies
quoted from the US National Institute for Food and Agriculture
I’ve written, arranged, and performed demos for two songs in the style of musical theater based on characters from the show Critical Role, Geek and Sundry’s flagship Dungeons and Dragon’s game series.
A sad, romantic duet between Lady Kima and Allura, two former adventurers who have spent years being afraid to admit their love for one another.
A revenge dirge in the style of Stephen Sondheim’s “Sweeney Todd” and “Assassins”. Percival De Rolo, the lone survivor of a monstrous massacre that claimed his entire family, grapples with an unexpected reunion with their murderers, and the demonic deal he made to create the perfect machine to exact his revenge…
“Giant Woman (Opal’s Reprise)”
An adaptation of the song “Giant Woman” from Steven Universe, created by Rebecca Sugar. This song is an extension of a moment in the show, how I imagine the reprise of the original song would have played out. The original moment that this song is based on was written by Rebecca Sugar and performed by Aimee Mann.
VOX MACHINA, An Exandrian Musical, was a year-long labor of love from the minds and talent of over 70 volunteer writers, singers, musicians, and artists, and no budget. On February 23rd, 2018, we released a full album of nearly 50 fan-created songs in homage to the Dungeons and Dragons active play series “Critical Role” and the acclaimed broadway musical Hamilton. We reshuffled and rewrote the entire soundtrack of Hamilton to adapt over 188 hours of “Critical Role” into a 2.4 hour musical album.
Available for download at http://www.willcrosswait.com/cpan
Available for streaming on Youtube
As co-producer on this fanmade musical album, my responsibilities over a one year production process included:
- workflow coordination and process
- demo performances on all 47 tracks
- voice casting and musical directing
- consultant on four iterations of sound mixing and sound editing
- social media marketing on tumblr and reddit
- Writer Staff and Lead Editor
- over 160 pages of adapated lyric writing
- editing and script supervising
- singing and acting performances on 20 songs
- Artistic Director
- co-creating the digital artwork for main logo
- recruiting artists for nearly 50 logo designs
- coordinating scheduling and deadlines
- collaborating on design choices to foster cohesive project aesthetics
- digital art cleanup
- design, management, collaboration, and final digital assembly on 50 logo designs with completed artwork
- Designed and created a 160 page document of art and lyrics: VM Musical Digital Booklet
I acted as artistic director for this project: conceptualizing, recruiting artists, and digitally assembling all 50 pieces of art, as well as graphic enhancing many pieces from hand drawing to match the sillohuette aesthetic of the show. CLICK HERE FOR LARGE SIZE
An example of video projects in which I edited existing video, effects, still images, and music into a transformative work. Fandom music videos are intended as character or thematic studies that juxtapose appropriate sound and music design with relevant imagery to create a cohesive theatrical or emotional experience.
This particular example is a retrospective on “The Legend of Korra”, and animated cartoon series. The blending of historic Asian and 1920s jazz aesthetics in the music and visuals of this series inspired me to pair it with the 1920s style song “Spirit of Adventure” from Pixar’s Up, and blend them together to create a sense of playfulness and nostalgia for fans of The Legend of Korra series and its characters.
“Fables Radio” is an unofficial, fan-made audio adaptation of the graphic novel series “Fables” by Bill Willingham and DC Vertigo Comics, about a secret community of fairy-tale characters living in New York City, in hiding from a great evil that exiled them from their homelands. This six-part audiodrama series (with full voice cast, music, and sound effects) tells the first story in the “Fables” saga, “Legends in Exile”, which follows Sheriff Bigby Wolf and Deputy Mayor Snow White and their investigation into the murder of Snow’s twin sister Rose Red.
As showrunner for this fanmade audiodrama series, my responsibilities included:
- writing the adapted radioplay script
- casting and directing all voice actors
- curating music and sound effects
- creating original sound effects
- editing and mixing episodes
- digital release and marketing.
Available on iTunes, Soundcloud, and Youtube
Promotional video for UF/IFAS Extention’s Personal Finance program. Filmed and assisted with three personal interviews about county residents’ experience with end of life planning. Set up backdrop and lighting to improve filming quality. Edited and color corrected raw footage with Adobe Premiere video editing software. Curated music and created text elements in videos to create a pleasant tone and promote UF/IFAS Extension educational program.